Tuesday 18 March 2014

Monday 17 March

Monday 17 March

Well hello there!

Thought I'd try & make up for the late second post from last week by starting this one before I'd been anywhere - so here goes!

This week we are once again working on our own projects. This is the mainstay for our society as each member brings in their own work and, using their own materials we spend two very enjoyable hours in the company of fellow artists. This is a great therapy to those of us who spend most of their time 'home alone' where we can all chat away, taking in tips, getting ideas and feedback as we try to improve our technique and in developing our own style. Nice though it is to have our friends and 'other half' looking over our shoulders saying 'that's nice' or some such well-meaning supportive comment, but it is not QUITE the same as having folks who actually know what you are going through and share the same understanding as you.


Richard at work on a pencil landscape.
Phil's acrylic Easter Island.





Pencil Wren to work from for Paul.

It was very nice last night to see both our new members from last week return. Richard continued with his Spurn Point (hope you looked it up like I told you), while Gill started a second pencil sketch of a countryside scene. However, she got a little 'tired' of it, so put it to one side and started on a work of a tractor, entirely from memory Gill lives on a farm with her parents so is fully aware of these rural objects having been around them since birth - I have to say she does have a good memory, borne out by the sketch work which she has done so far which is turning out to be amazing. Can't wait to see this one completed, but I will have to be patient for a couple of weeks as this leads me nicely (marvel at the linking up here) of my next subject.



Next week we have a female artist who will be leading a workshop on the 'Wet in Wet' watercolour technique where I think all of our group will have a go and try to learn from it. That's one of the main things with art - there is always something else to learn, even if you just use one medium, it is never fully, truly mastered. I'm quite impressed with our members - they all put their preferred medium down and turn their hand to whatever the workshop is. I've been a member of some groups where folks would sit in the corner and not take part. What's the point of having guests in to show you things and how are you ever going to learn? Anyway, that's next week to look forward to.

I had better leave it at that for this now as I think I've covered about everything, but next week's should be a lot more interesting as I will write up our wet in wet night.

As for me, well my colleague Phil who I pick up on the way through to Goole on Monday nights, and I both attend a group a couple of miles from us every Tuesday evening. The four of us really enjoy the close, friendly atmosphere, with no pressure for anything at all. We have no agenda or exhibitions, simply meeting for our own enjoyment. Saturday morning I'm off to the once a month Life Drawing group in a nearby town which I always look forward to, so it looks like being a good week for me artwise!

Until next time.

G.A.S.


No comments:

Post a Comment